[EM] Consensus Threshold Approval

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Mon Apr 8 10:12:04 PDT 2013

Forest,

This is an interesting method.  It gives another good objective meaning for
numerical scores on a 0-100 scale.

The consensus threshold would be very useful in situations where compromise
is paramount.  For instance, I can pledge to support a new taxation scheme
only if 90% of the citizens support it.  (This is even more important in
situations where participation is voluntary, such as donations.)  If 90% of
the people say the same thing, it is probably a pretty good compromise.

On the other hand, I see some situations where it could be problematic.  If
90% of people give a candidate a score of 11 and the other 10% of people
give a score of 0, that candidate will have a consensus threshold approval
of 90%.  I can imagine those voters being surprised that such a large
coalition was built from people who liked the candidate so little.

As Jameson notes, CTA is the same as the chiastic median, but applied to
the thresholds instead of the scores.  However, the thresholds are 100
minus the scores, so it definitely changes the meaning of things.  The CTA
value probably has more natural real world meaning than the chiastic
median, but it brings the following concerns:

1. In terms of the visual representation, I consider the area to be the
best measure of support if everyone is honest.  Approval, median, and
chiastic approval, as you describe below, all measure something related to
the area under the curve.  Examining the other diagonal, like CTA, doesn't
seem to measure anything related to the area.  So it might not be a good
indicator of the total level of support.

2. CTA does not meet the unanimity criterion for aggregation functions,
which says that if all voters give the same score, then the societal score
should match.  Approval doesn't either, but median, score, and chiastic
approval do.

3. CTA also can be extremely sensitive to one voter's input.  One voter, by
lowering his score (raising his threshold) by one point, can scuttle the
whole coalition and cause the societal score to go from 100 to 0.

~ Andy