[EM] List of primary voting projects & invite to mirroring network

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Mon Apr 1 11:30:01 PDT 2013

On 3/29/2013 12:54 PM, Michael Allan wrote:
> We have a Knight submission that concerns primary voting, the status
> of which is currently up the air.  Knight is about to pick 50
> submissions to proceed to the next phase (refinement).  If we make the
> cut, then I imagine we could still modify the submission during the
> refinement phase, though I'm not 100% sure.
>
> Bearing that in mind, please consider joining us there.  If you agree,
> we could try to add VoteFair to the list of providers (currently 3):
> https://www.newschallenge.org/open/open-government/submission/free-range-voting/

Thank you for the invitation.  At this time, for various reasons, this
would not be a good fit.

My plan is to adapt the algorithm that is currently used in the VoteFair
Negotiation Tool and incorporate a variation of it into the open-source
VoteFair ranking software that I've posted on GitHub.

The result, in addition to being useful for negotiation and "liquid
democracy" and "primary voting" situations, also would be useful for
long (more than 5 positions) open-list-party situations, which is the
application that Peter Zbornik has expressed a future interest in.

Again, thanks for your interest, and good luck with your efforts to move
voting software into the open.

Richard Fobes