[EM] Divided Majorities - Number Votes Matrix - Left Vote Shifts

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Mon Sep 17 22:56:12 PDT 2012

On 09/18/2012 06:18 AM, Andy Jennings wrote:

> I have been thinking this for a while, and I would love to see it
> implemented for precisely the situation you describe: the legislature,
> or even the voters directly, choosing the overall tax rate.

You might want to build in some hysteresis so that the voters couldn't,
even theoretically, one year mandate a 100% tax rate and then, the next,
a 0% rate.

(Similar measures might also be used to mitigate short-term populism
where elections are frequent. In an electronic proxy voting situation,
for instance, it may be useful to have the proxies not lose/gain all
their power at once when someone subscribes/unsubscribes, but to more
slowly lose/gain that power.)