[EM] MJ, Approval, Score, and Chicken Dilemma

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 09:17:48 PDT 2012

Yes, with X voters and Y voters voting co-operatively, rating
eachother's candidate barely short of max, X will win in Score and
(probabilistically-voted) Approval.

Something similar can be done in MJ too, and I'll take Jameson's word
for it that MJ's tiebreaking bylaws will keep the result from being a
tie.

Jameson said that, with 89% support needed, it would be easy for
defectors to spoil that. But would they want to? Defection by Y voters
will hand the win over to Z if Y doesn't do as well as X.

The example's premise is that the Y voters intensely dislike Z. They
perceive a _much_ greater merit difference between X and Z than
between Y and X. So, how rational would it be for any significant
number of the Y voters to defect?

About MJ's tiebreakers, I just feel they amount to an elegant,
artificial Frankensteinian graft.

Mike Ossipoff