[EM] Board Meeting Deadline

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Oct 31 14:29:16 PDT 2012

Here is an attempt to answer Jon's question: "Us activists may want to
fly your flag, but what is on the flag?"

As Jameson points out, the Declaration Of Election-Method Reform
Advocates is the document that best describes our "flag" as a group.  In
addition to requesting the ban on single-mark ballots, it lists
suggested actions.  The recommended actions that apply to the people
you/Jon are involved with are these:

* "If you are active in a political party that uses plurality voting,
you can increase your party’s chances of winning in the main election by
using better voting methods to choose your party's candidates,
delegates, and officers."

* "If you are involved in a small political party, you can urge the
adoption of one of the methods here as part of your party platform and
an important strategy for growing your party."

* "Most importantly, if you are a policymaker, you can better represent
your constituents, reduce your need to constantly raise funds, and
discourage negative campaigns, by introducing legislation to replace
plurality voting with a better election method."

Another recommended action is this one, for which the word
"organization" can apply to a political party:

* "If you are a member of an organization that elects officers using
plurality voting, you can help your organization increase election
fairness, and run more smoothly, by requesting the use of a better
election method when an election involves more than two candidates."

At the moment the focus in Jon's network is on Presidential candidates
(a.k.a. POTUS candidates), yet the above recommendations apply to any
election for any office.

In my opinion -- and this is where others in this forum are most likely
to disagree -- our "flag" is for a third party to adopt one of the
recommended voting methods supported by the Declaration.  Ideally they
would adopt it for use in both delegate elections and primary elections
(or at least one of those two uses).

This approach has already been pioneered in Europe where the Pirate
party in several nations have adopted voting methods that are supported
by the Declaration.

Notice that neither I nor the Declaration suggests starting with trying
to reform the general elections of either Congressmen or Presidents.
Therefore, a Constitutional amendment is not needed (because it controls
Presidential general elections).

As for changing state laws, that would be needed if a third party wants
to use a better ballot (either an Approval, Ranked, or Score ballot) in
their primary election AND their state's laws (or constitution) does not
allow it.  I live in Oregon, and a well-informed advocate of IRV
(explained below) says that our state constitution and (if I remember
correctly) our laws allow a ranked ballot (a.k.a. 1-2-3 ballot), so a
third party could use a ranked (or 1-2-3) ballot here.  I don't know the
situation in other states.

As for the methods supported by the Declaration, they are (in
alphabetical order):

* Approval voting

* Most of the Condorcet methods

* Majority judgment

* Range voting

Regarding the Condorcet methods, Jon says "I gather there is now a
tweaked version of this," but I have not seen a clear description of
that method -- that does not include references to voters insincerely
ranking choices at the same level -- so I don't know if it qualifies as
a Condorcet method.  Also, it has not yet been implemented in software,
so adopting it at this time is a moot point.

So, my interpretation is that our "flag" is that either Approval voting,
a Condorcet method, Majority judgment, or Range voting should be adopted
for use in a third party.

Actions speak louder than words, so what is needed is to adopt a better
voting method, or express support for adopting a better voting method,
and specifying where -- presumably within a third party -- it will be used.

Perhaps a better first step would be for any reform-minded candidate to
add their signature to the Declaration Of Election-Method Reform Advocates.

Actually anyone -- including you/Jon -- can sign the Declaration.
Perhaps this is the most important action that can occur.  As more
reform-minded voters sign the Declaration, more candidate signatures are
likely to follow.

To sign it, anyone in Jon's network can send an email to Jon asking to
sign it, then Jon can forward the message to this forum.  In the message
the signer needs to indicate what brief words should accompany their
signature.  Look at the other signatures to see what might be
appropriate.  Then Jameson will add the signature to the original
document, and I/Richard will add the signature to the copy posted at
BanSingleMarkBallots.org.

Also there is a related Facebook page, which allows Facebook users to
"like" the Declaration.

Note that, to repeat what Jameson said, banning single-mark ballots is
just part of the Declaration.  Expressing support for the four specific
methods that have been carefully analyzed by election-method experts is
really the centerpiece of the Declaration.

Although the above actions do not include requesting changes in
Republican or Democratic primary elections, such additional changes
would be very welcome -- but highly unlikely.  (Interestingly this
situation reveals that both mainstream parties are out-of-touch with the
majority of voters.)

Jon says: "Intellectually, no 3rd party would NOT sign onto this accept
if we blow the details."

Alas, there is a well-networked group that Jameson (for good reasons)
spells as Fa¡rVote and they aggressively promote IRV (instant-runoff
voting).

(Clarification: I created a method called VoteFair ranking, and its name
should not be confused with the above similar word.)

The signers of the Declaration have different opinions about the IRV
method.  A carefully worded portion of the Declaration says:

"Our lack of formal support for IRV does not mean that all of us oppose
it.  After all, we and IRV advocates are fighting against the same
enemy, plurality voting.  Yet IRV’s disadvantages make it impossible for
us to unanimously support it."

This (and related) wording allows people who like IRV to sign the
Declaration without dismissing IRV as another alternative.

Yet the Fa¡rVote group is likely to aggressively campaign against the
methods supported in the Declaration.  So I need to clarify why.  Based
on earlier writings, the leader of that group really wants a method
called STV (the single transferable vote), and IRV is a single-winner
version of STV, which makes IRV like a "gateway drug" to STV.  It's
significant that the group's branch in Canada advocates STV, not IRV.

That is why that group is unwilling to consider any of the methods
recommended in the Declaration, even though the Declaration-supported
methods reliably produce fairer results.

Very importantly, as the Declaration states: "In Australia, where IRV
has been used for more than a century, the House of Representatives has
had only one third-party winner in the last 600 individual elections."

In the United States, IRV has been adopted in various municipalities,
but some of those places tried it and didn't like the results, so they
went back to "standard" plurality voting.  Examples: Aspen Colorado and
Burlington Vermont

So, to simplify, our "flag" is the Declaration Of Election-Method Reform
Advocates, and I believe the first helpful action would be for lots of
third-party voters and the third-party candidates to sign the
declaration.  A bigger step would be for one or more third parties to
adopt -- for use in upcoming elections -- one of the voting methods it
recommends.

I hope this answer helps.

Richard Fobes