[EM] A Reformer's Lament

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Mon Oct 29 12:35:50 PDT 2012

In a private message Jon Denn characterizes the banning of single-mark
ballots as a grievance, and that a grievance should be accompanied by a
proposed solution.  (And I agree.)

The signers of the Declaration did agree on the recommended actions that
are listed on this web page:

http://www.bansinglemarkballots.org/actions.html

Yet I'm thinking that this might be a good time to go beyond these
solutions.

I suggest that each interested participant suggest a solution that
he/she believes should be implemented in a specific context, as a
replacement for single-mark ballots.

My current suggestion (based on having explored lots of possibilities,
some of which I'm still pursuing) is to encourage a third political
party to adopt any of the methods recommended in the Declaration Of
Election-Method Reform Advocates as a better way to choose their
Presidential candidate.  Also it would help educate people about how
voting really should be done.

Alas, that change isn't likely, so as an alternative I would recommend
that a reform-minded organization elect their delegates using VoteFair
ranking, including VoteFair representation ranking, which prevents a 40%
minority from being completely outvoted by a 60% majority.

Does anyone else want to recommend a solution?  Jon Denn is connected to
politically oriented organizations that are relatively receptive to what
we can recommend.

Richard Fobes