[EM] Getting started... Re: Amateur peer-reviewed "journal" for voting methods, criteria, and compliances?

augustin augustin-em at overshoot.tv
Sat Oct 6 00:15:33 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, October 03, 2012 04:34:51 AM Richard Fobes wrote:
> Bravo to Jameson & Augustin!  Thank you for being willing to do the hard
> work of creating an online election-method peer-reviewed publication!

Earlier this week, I spoke out of turn and prematurely saying that I would set
up the web site. Today, I am happy to confirm that I really will! :) I am
getting started today.

Richard, you almost wrote the whole article yourself about the need of the
Journal vis-à-vis wikipedia. Since you already have a guest writer account at
DC, maybe what you wrote can be published there, more or less as is, with only
a few minor modifications. Wait a few days, though, and you'll have more
information coming from me about how to join the movement.

Meanwhile, as a temporary measure, I have published the text of your proposed
article here:
http://elections.peerreviewed.info/

> Third, I suggest that reviewers be allowed to write a few words rather
> than only being allowed to click a box that says approve or disapprove.
>   Based on what is written in this forum, I doubt that I would be
> willing to unconditionally approve any article.  To encourage brevity in
> a review, long reviews (say more than 2,000 characters?) could display
> only the beginning, and then include a link to the remainder of the review.

Yes, reviewers will be able to comment on the article they are reviewing (what
needs to be changed, etc.). Users will even be able to comment on reviews.
Soon, I'll make a very specific technical recommendation on this aspect. Stay
tuned.

You all will hear more from me in the next 48 hours. The project is definitely
on! :)

Special thanks to Jameson.

augustin.

--