[EM] Amateur peer-reviewed "journal" for voting methods, criteria, and compliances?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 08:08:20 PDT 2012

This idea seems to have decent support in the community. I think we should
be proceeding.

However, we are still a long way from being able to pop the champagne. This
article <http://pkp.sfu.ca/files/OJS_Project_Report_Shapiro.pdf> provides a
basic roadmap for starting a journal. This roadmap is clearly not suited to
our particular case in all details, but it's still worth a read. In
particular, it has a schedule of startup tasks:

Week 1

   - Decision to proceed with journal, including budget and resource
   approvals.
   - Determine who will fill the roles of editor (& backup), managing
   editor/assistant to the editor (& backup), editorial board.
   - Agree on statement of purpose for the journal, and theme for first
   issue if desired.

Week 2 - 3

   - Establish agreement with SFU for hosting service.
   - Conduct training for editor and managing editor and their backups.

Week 3

   - Review “Design Options” and agree on approach to be adopted for the
   journal for each of these options.
   - Identify possible contributors to 1st issue of the journal and contact
   them to encourage contributions.

Week 4

   - Identify contractors to perform copy editor, proofer and layout
   functions.
   - Complete initial set-up of the journal web-site with no articles.

Week 5

   - Conduct training for editorial board (regarding their roles
   as reviewers), and, if necessary, the contractors who will be used for copy
   editing, proofing and layout functions.

Week 6 - 7

   - Pilot process with dummy articles.

Week 8

   - Send out broadly to the education community an announcement of the
   journal, theme of 1st issue if appropriate, request for contributions, link
   to journal.

Week 9

   - Editorial board to make decision regarding possible collaboration
   opportunities identified in this report.

So, for our equivalent of "week 1" we need:
Managing editor: The person who makes sure the whole thing happens,
including almost all the bullet points above. I'd happily put my self
forward, but honestly if anyone else wants to take up this burden I won't
stand in your way. Roughly one day a week of commitment.
Editor: Responsible for the process of peer review itself - getting the
peer reviewers assigned, making sure they do their work, scheduling
articles for which issue they are targeted for, etc. Ideally, adademic
experience would help here. Roughly 3 days a month of commitment.
Backup: I'd like to have at least 1 backup for each of the above. Can be
the same person.
Webmaster and backup: Discussion of this is ongoing.
"editorial board": Serve as reviewers, help with publicity. Probably around
1-2 days a month of commitment. We have 2 or 3 people who have sorta signed
on for this level of involvement, but let's try to get that up to at least
7 formal offers.
Title, statement of purpose: Might be time to start to talk about these.

I think a reasonable goal is to be done with the above by the 22nd of this
month,  2 and a half weeks from now. If we can't pull that together, I
don't see how we can imagine that we'll manage to have a journal. That
means, if you were thinking of volunteering for any of the above, *now is
the time to speak*.

Jameson