[EM] 3 or more choices - Condorcet

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 15:50:03 PDT 2012

I just note that there are many approaches to making the pairwise comparisons.

- One could use proportions instead of margins => A/B isntead of A-B.

- If one measures the number of poeple who took position, one would have to know which ones voted for a tie intentionally, and which ones voted for a tie because they thought those candidates were already irrelevat, or because they didn't know the candidates, or were just too lazy to mark all the details in the ballot. An wlternative would be to assume that any tie is interpreted as an intentionally marked tie. A candidate taht is not known by many voters probably will not be ranked high anyway, so there may be no need for adjustments.

- Winning votes counts the amount of opposition, but doesn't care about the amount of support.

- Also other more fine-tuned approaches to making the pairwise comparisons could be developed. Or maybe rough and simple rules are easier to justify.

- Truncation as a way to make the results of the truncated candidates worse is not a nice option because it may lead to people not ranking the candidates, which is contrary to the targets of ranked voting (= collect all preference opinions). The worst case would be bullet voting.

Juho