[EM] Choosing leaders in a legislature

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Mon Nov 19 12:10:25 PST 2012

Jameson,

Your solution to the original problem (use an anonymous voting system) is
not a bad one, but it is still interesting to consider the problem where
the voting system is not anonymous and going against your caucus is indeed
punishable behavior.  Suppose the caucus loyalty is so strong that the
entire majority party votes as a bloc.  What voting systems will still
elect some kind of compromise candidate?

With all of our top-tier methods (Range, Approval, MJ, Condorcet), there is
a defined way for a majority bloc to vote that will ensure their outcome no
matter how the minority votes.  IRV too.

Interestingly enough, Borda Count can give us a compromise winner in this
situation, if the majority votes first and the minority can see the totals
and vote reactively.  The majority can't put enough distance between their
chosen winner and the other candidates to knock them all out of the
running.  In effect, they must leave N candidates within striking distance
and then, if the minority unites, they can elect any one of those
candidates.  I haven't had the time to calculate N.  It depends on the size
of the majority and the minority as well as how many candidates there are.
 My thinking was that if that's how the game theory works out (majority
nominates N candidates and the minority chooses between them) then why not
just make that process explicit?  Tell the majority to nominate N
candidates and then let the minority choose between them.  Then we can
choose the number N directly, we're not limited to the one that falls out
of the Borda construction.

This method can still choose the median leader without instituting
anonymity or challenging caucus loyalty.  I'm just not sure, yet, how it
extends to more than two parties.

~ Andy