[EM] Approval voting and incumbents

aGREATER.US info at aGREATER.US
Tue Nov 13 03:29:24 PST 2012

Incumbents have a huge unfair advantage in that corporations (including unions) pour money into their reelection campaigns. It's the devil you know syndrome and also smart money as incumbents are statistically more likely to win and owe the favor. In this context I wonder if the best voting method for publically funded elections is different from the status quo. Like Schoedinger's Cat, we live in both universes until we know whether there will be meaningful reform or not. I'm guessing there will be but only if all reform groups form an overarching alliance of word and deed if not an actual formal group.

The only thing I don't like about voting for all candidates to see who runs against the incumbents is it doesn't give them a chance to fail in the primary first, and they can save all the legalized graft for the general election.

Jon

Sent from my iPhone