[EM] Choosing leaders in a legislature

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 04:33:04 PST 2012

Why not just use approval voting (or MJ) within the legislature? The
problem with the "nominate 16 and we'll pick one" idea (and the like) is
that it gives a strong incentive to nominate candidates that, for whatever
reason, everyone knows are unsuitable.

To me, the basic way that the approval voting could go wrong is if voting
outside your caucus were a punishable betrayal. So, I think you'd need to
have a secret ballot. That's unfortunate for ordinary voters, who generally
should have the right to know what their representatives are doing in their
name. But other than that, I think that the incentives are pretty good, and
it would settle on a capable near-median candidate.

Jameson