[EM] Approval strategy: never approve challengers

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 11:13:05 PDT 2012

> Subject: [EM] Approval strategy: never approve challengers

Juho:

You said:

> Here is one possible strategy for Approval that may be useful especially
after a
> reform from Plurality to Approval. The idea is simply that current large
party
> supporters should avoid accepting any of the candidates of their new
rising
> competitors. With this strategy it is possible to at least delay the
change for a
> while.

Dream on.

> In the first Approval election Green voters are happy to vote for their
favourite
> and also approve the Democrat candidate that is a good compromise for
them.
> 06: G, D
> 47: D
> 47: R

Again, you're engaging in wishful thinking if you think that only 6% of the
public want something better than the Republocrats.

By the way, most Europeans should want democratic reform in the U.S. I have
no idea why you don't.

> In the next election the Green candidate is already more popular, but
Democrats
> will not approve him [or her]

We can regard it as Progressives, Dem, and Repub, because traditionally
we've had the pretense of Dem & Repub as separate competing parties. As I
said, the Middle voters have no reason to approve anyone other than Middle.

> In the following election the same pattern appears again. The Green party
> complains that the Democrats should approve also the Green candidate.

No they shouldn't.

Of course yes, if they know what policies would be better for them, and if
they're at all in touch with what's acceptable or unacceptable to them, then
they should approve the Green, but not the Dem.

> I don't know what will happen after this. Will the Green voters abandon
the
> Democrat candidate and approve only G?

Yes, when the results of the 1st Approval count have shown that there are
more than two relevant and viable parties, and the media are no longer able
to conceal their support percentage and platforms, and it becomes obvious to
all that the Republicans and Democrats aren't different from eachother and
don't really offer change, and don't match what, say, the Greens offer. The
scam will have fallen through.

>Or will all Democrats approve also G?

No. If anyone still prefers Dem best, that person, if they know what s/he's
doing, won't approve the Greens. The Democrat party will be telling its
suckers to not approve anyone else (except maybe Repubs).

The Repubs will be telling their voters (if they still have any) to approve
the Dem.

> Despite of this catastrophic situation in the end the proposed strategy
could be
> the correct delay strategy for the Democrat and Republican parties to
follow.
> They should stick to their compromise candidate position

Of course they'll try to maintain that scam, but it won't work.

> Is this "never approve challengers" strategy a good strategy for large
parties
> that fear that smaller nearby parties might take their position?

Yes.