[EM] What happens when Approval doesn't let you vote Favorite>Dem>Repub?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun May 27 15:47:58 PDT 2012

On May 27, 2012, at 5:12 PM, Juho Laatu wrote:
> On 27.5.2012, at 22.37, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
>
>> You know, that's the Condorcetists' and IRVists' objection to
>> Approval.
>
> The question is what happens when Approval doesn't let you vote
> A>B>C. The difference is that there is no division to minor and
> major candidates. The worst Approval problems appear when there are
> three or more potential winners.

It does not take that long.  As soon as ability to vote for A=B is in
your future you think of wanting ability to vote for
Favorite>Comprmise, as is doable in IRV - matters only that Favorite
is your favorite, not the possibility of Favorite actually winning.

Mike O's voters seem to think slower:

>> after the 1st Approval election, in which the non-Republocrat
>> parties and candidates have somehow managed to make at least some
>> people
>> aware of their different platforms, policies and proposals, the count
>> results are going to show many more votes for non-Republocrats, now
>> that
>> everyone, for the first time, has the freedom to rate anyone as they
>> themselves choose to, and no longer constrained by the lesser-of-2-
>> evils
>> problem.
>
> The first Approval elections in a former two-party system could go
> really well if we assume that the third parties won't be potential
> winners yet.
>
>> Don't Democrat and Republican candidates continually offer
>> "change"?  :-)
>> They promise those things because they know that the public want
>> those
>> things.  But the public will now notice that they don't offer
>> squat, in
>> regards to those things.
>
> This is a problem of all political systems, also when there are
> multiple parties. The problem may be one step worse in a two-party
> system where these two parties are almost guaranteed to return back
> to power soon, whatever they do.

With voters able to vote for favorites, lesser-of-2-evils, etc., the
vote counts will more usefully indicate the popularity of candidates -
making nominating candidates more useful for lesser parties.

DWK