[EM] To Condorcetists:

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:38:27 PDT 2012

Juho says:

Maybe the number one on the list of the still unanswered questions is the
following one.

[example+question starts here]

26: A > B >> C
26: B > A >> C
24: C >> A > B
24: C >> B > A
- A and B are Democrats and C is a Republican

How should voters vote after seeing these (quite reliable) poll results if
they follow the "better than expectation" strategy? Should A and B be seen
as the expected winners with 50% winning chance both? Maybe 50% of the
voters should guess that A wins and 50% that B wins (?).

[endquote]

You don't say how good a result the various voters expect from the election.
You don't say if it's u/a. You show higher magnitude dislike for C, among
the A and B voters. Should we infer that you mean that it's u/a, and that,
to the A and B voters, A and B are acceptable and B is unacceptable? .that
{A,B} and {C} are sets such that the merit differences within the sets are
negligible in comparison to the merit differences between the sets? If so,
then the Approval's u/a strategy would call for the A and B voters to
approve A and B.

But there's the co-operation/defection problem, isn't there. I've discussed
it. I've described some solutions to it, in a post in recent days. I'll
re-post my list of 5 solutions.

But remember that Condorcet equally has the co-operation/defection problem
too.

What about ICT in your example? The A voters should vote A>B. The B voters
should vote B>A.

Mike Ossipoff