[EM] Kristofer, April 3, '12, Approval vs Condorcet

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 17 03:15:56 PDT 2012

On 17.5.2012, at 4.39, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> Oops - took so long stripping Mike O's zillion words that I forgot to respond.
>
> On May 16, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Dave Ketchum wrote:

>>> I'm still not quite certain what elections this proposal refers to. If it refers to use of different single-winner methods in single-winner districts of a multi-winner election to elect members to some representative body, then I'm not ready to recommend elther of those changes before I understand what the goals are.

>>> Approval may be an easy and acceptaböe first step. My opinion is that you should plan also next steps, in case someone wants to cancel the reform, drive it further, or if the strategic vulnerabilities of Approval pop up in some election (like the Condorcet criterion problem popped up in Burlington, althogh that was maybe not even noticed by all).
>
> I know of no useful reason for rejecting Approval's replacement of Plurality - it's permission to approve of more than one as equally desired while rejecting less than Plurality and the increasing in complexity is trivial.

Use of Approval could be a good move although Approval itself is not problem free. And the political system might get some hickups. But there may well be more benefits than problems. And this is a practical place to start the reform.

> But stepping from Plurality or Approval to Condorcet is also doable and worthy.

Condorcet methods are good single-winner methods. Using them to elect representative bodies from single-member districs is an integersting non-classical approach. Approval and Condorcet are in the same category in the sense that they favour centrists and they move away from the alternating two-party power. Use of Condorcet avoids some of the problems of Approval.

Juho