[EM] To Condorcetists:

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Mon May 14 15:11:21 PDT 2012

On 05/13/2012 03:04 AM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> You're in deinal about Gibbard-Satterthwaite.
> You're in denial about Condorcet's blatant and full-magnitude
> co-operation/defection problem.
> And you're in denial about millions of voters' need to litterally
> maximally help the Democrat beat the Republican.

There are many ways to try to convince the people with whom you're
debating that they're mistaken. Calling them "in denial" is not one of them.

Now, I could lower myself to your level, but I'm not going to do that. I
*am* going to say, though, that this is not the kind of thing that makes
me want to invest time in writing replies to your posts. Please don't do it.

Before you start claiming people are in denial, look at what you've
written yourself. More specifically, it looks rather bad when you, on
the one hand, say that C/D resistance is not incompatible with the
Condorcet criterion, then turn around and claim that "Condorcet has a
blatant and full-magnitude co-operation/defection problem" of which
Condorcetists are supposedly in denial.

Before you talk about a *need* to literally maximally help the Democrat
beat the Republican, consider what you have said yourself, in response
to my posts. You have said that the voters' overcompromise is a result
of their history with Plurality, not an objective *need* to, within
Condorcet, rearrange the preferences or the worse guy will win.

And finally, I'd give this hint: the moment it feels like the "other
side" has somehow acquired a preponderance of people in denial, take a
more Copernican view. When an otherwise sensible group holds a view that
seems to be silly, and to explain the silliness, a greater part of that
group needs to be extraordinarily blind (and very specifically so),
perhaps they are not. Perhaps, instead, the view is not so silly.