[EM] Handcounts

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 1 00:45:17 PDT 2012

Here's my one cent on how votes should be recorded and counted. Two simple procedures that try to outline the basic needs.

Manual approach:
- representatives of multiple interest groups monitor the voting process
- they check that the ballot box is empty and then seal it
- voter fills the paper ballot alone in a booth
- the ballot will be stamped and the voter drops the ballot in the ballot box
- at the end of the day representatives of multiple interest groups open the ballot box and count the votes together on one large table right away
- the summary of the local results will be agreed and published right away
- all the ballots will be packed and sealed and stored for possible later additional verification right away
- the content of the individual votes will not be published if their content is detailed enough to allow identification of some voters
- the summary results will be sent to the central counting authority
- the central counting authority sums up the results and publishes them, including the summaries of all voting locations

Electronic approach:
- voting machines contain a simple open source program
- voting machines are stored by some central authorities
- representatives of multiple interest groups open and test some of the mahines to see that they work as intended
- representatives of multiple interest groups deliver the sealed machines to the voting locations
- representatives of multiple interest groups monitor the voting process
- they reset the voting machine
- voter uses the voting machine alone in a booth
- the voting machine / voting process will allow one voter to cast only one vote
- at the end of the day representatives of the multiple interest groups get the summary of the votes from the voting machine
- the summary of the local results will be published right away
- the content of the individual votes will be erased right away, or alternatively the individual votes are strored within the sealed voting machine or printed and sealed and stored right away for possible later additional verification
- the content of the individual votes will not be published if their content is detailed enough to allow identification of some voters
- the summary results will be sent to the central counting authority
- the central counting authority sums up the results and publishes them, including the summaries of all voting locations
- if the voting machines still contain the secret individual votes they are stored locally for possible recounts for a while, or alternatively they will be delivered back to the central authorities (maybe by representatives of multiple interest groups)

Hybrid approaches are possible too. Voting in the net would require some more additional security measures.