[EM] How much does ABucklin improve on Approval?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Mar 24 18:18:05 PDT 2012

On Mar 24, 2012, at 3:49 PM, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> Approval can't be improved upon, other than questionably and
> doubtfully.

This is a bit much, considering that there are many competing methods
that offer various worthy capabilities.

Looking at the ABucklin that you mention:

Assuming that I wish to elect A, but want to have B considered ONLY if
I cannot get A elected:

.     I cannot say this with Approval, where I must give equal
approval to every candidate I approve.

.     With ABucklin I can give B a lower rank than I give A, to be
considered only if A's rank does not decide on a winner.