[EM] Fast Condorcet-Kemeny calculation times, clarification of NP-hardness issue

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 17:49:32 PST 2012

Remember that K-Y is Condorcet compliant, and I believe consistent as well
(that is, you can generalize from Condorcet to Smith and even ignore the
effects of the candidates outside the Smith set). So the set of cases where
the problem is easy is at least somewhat well-defined in that sense, and
probably includes (for instance) all the elections I've ever voted in. And
so I believe that Richard's "my algorithm usually gets it right" is not
totally content-free.

But Warren is also very right that, when things start to go wrong, it's
impossible to know whether you have the right answer, the almost-right
answer, or something totally wrong. And if some algorithm said "Jameson's
favorite is probably not the winner, though I can't prove it", I don't
think I'd be very inclined to accept that "probably"on Richard's say-so.
Part of the whole point of democracy is to guarantee that there will be a
clear winner with some legitimacy, since a civil war is usually a lot worse
than the second-best option.

Jameson