[EM] Lomax reply 3,/13/12

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 13 14:25:27 PDT 2012

Abd:

I'm starting this reply today, though I probably won't have enough computer-time
today to complete this reply.

First, two definitions that you asked about:

AOC:

AOC is Optional Conditional Approval. You can make any of your approvals conditional
by mutuality. Then, that approval is counted only if it is reciprocated. The best
way to describe how it actually works is by the pseudocode for the proposed process
for optional conditionality by mutuality. That pseudocode can be found in my first
posting that introduced (and mentioned in the subject-line) "MTA-Optional-Conditional (MTAOC)"
That posting contains the pseudocode for determining whether a conditional MTA middle-rating will
be counted. AOC uses that same algorithm to determine whether to count a conditional approval.
Some days later I posted a message with a subject line indicating a fix for a typo, an
inadvertently-omitted line that needed to be added to the pseudocode. Then later I posted another message in which I
suggested that all of your top-rated (in MTA) candidates should be regarded as "coalition-suitable"
(instead of asking the voter to mark some top-rated candidates as "coaliton-suitable") for you.
In AOC, unconditional approval is, for that purpose, treated as top-rating.

I admit that that is a mess--when my optional-conditionality-by-mutuality algorithm definition
is in three widely-separated postings. At least I should re-post the corrected pseudocode in
one posting. Should have already done that before now. Will within a few days.

u/a election:

u/a stands for unacceptable/acceptable. A u/a election is one in which there is one or more completely unacceptable
candidates who could win.

In such an election, avoiding the election of an unacceptable is all-important. In a u/a election by ABucklin,
it's definitely your best strategy to top-rank all the acceptables, and not rank any unacceptables. I consider our
public political elections to be u/a. The Republocrats are the among the unacceptables, though there are probably
others too. That's just my opinion as a voter, judging by standards such as dishonesty, corruption, bought-ness, etc.

The Republocrats are a set, effectively a party, consisting of two nearly identical subsets called
Democrats and Republicans. Gore Vidal said that we don't have a two-party system--We have one party with two right wings.

End of definitions of AOC and u/a election.