[EM] Approval-Runoff

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 9 09:41:18 PST 2012

Kevin:

You wrote:

I don't think Approval-Runoff can get off the ground since it's too
apparent that a party could nominate two candidates (signaling that one
is just a pawn to aid the other) and try to win by grabbing both of the
finalist positions. If this happened regularly it would be just an
expensive version of FPP.

[endquote]

I'd believed that it would just be seen as a minimal change from Runoff.
You mean that, because of Approval in the 1st election, it would be too easy
for a faction to put two identical candidates in the runoff? Yes, now that you
mention it, that's probably so.

Approval-Runoff suggestion withdrawn.

You coninued:

SODA actually does allow you to not delegate via checking a box.

[endquote]

Of course. Myself, I think it would be more winnable if non-delegation were
the default, and one checks a box to delegate. I think it's best for innovations
to be options.

You continued:

But
a version that required delegation might be interesting because it
wouldn't require an "approval plus checkbox" ballot, it would just need
a vote-for-one ballot.

[endquote]

But it would be seen as often in violation of a voter's wishes. I feel that optional
delegation would be far more winnable.

Mike Ossipoff