[EM] Conceiving a Democratic Electoral Process

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Fri Jun 29 05:01:25 PDT 2012

Fred Gohlke said:
> Good Morning, Michael
>
> I'm glad to see you.  I hoped this topic would attract thoughtful
> comment.  I may have misunderstood your point, though.
>
> I think you are suggesting that party primaries be open to the
> public?  Is that your intent? ...

Yes, as a thought experiment.  So even the members of competing
parties may vote in the primary.  Let's call this the assumption of
"universality".

> ... If so, would the attending non-partisans have to vote for one of
> the party's candidates?

Let's assume not.  Let's assume instead a purely democratic process in
which all choices (including the initial nominations) are decided by
voting.  Call this the assumption of "equality".  (Later I'll explain
why I think these assumptions are valid.)

> I'm anxious to examine your ideas, but want to be sure my
> understanding is correct.

So what would be the effect on parties?  Clearly they could no longer
be parties by the following definition, since (c) is now eliminated.

 (a) a *primary* electoral system
 (b) one that sponsors candidates for *public* office
 (c) where voting is restricted to *private* members

But maybe that's just a formality.  What would be the *actual* effect
of eliminating (c)?

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528