[EM] Best winner

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 17:55:00 PDT 2012

To Democracy Chronicles, EM, and Dave Ketchum:

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>wrote:

> Quoting from today's Demoncracy Chronicles, 6/24/12:
>
> The basic idea is avoid the situation faced today, where many candidates
> that are well liked do not get votes because voters choose the most likely
> to win candidate instead of their favorite.      Source: Democracy
> Chronicles <http://s.tt/1fy4W> (http://s.tt/1fy4W)
>

> Dave comments:

> Reads like a typo - that these voters would vote for the one they think is
> most likely to be voted for by other voters.

I reply:

The voters are certain that the winner will be either the Republican or the
Democrat, and so they (nearly) all vote for the Republican or the Democrat.
And so guess what?...The winner is therefore predictably always the
Republican or the Democrat.

But thanks for your suggested wording-change, Dave.

> Dave continues:
>

> for Approval voters should:
> .     Start with their favorite.
> .     Add the best they see among possible winners - but not if this best
> likely will cause their favorite to lose.

[endquote]

Sounds about right. I like and agree with Dave's emphasis on avoiding
helping an unliked compromise. You won't find any unliked compromises
marked on my approval ballot. In Approval, one never approves an
unacceptable candidate.

But I also refer Dave to the strategy suggestions in my Approval article at
Democracy Chronicles, for voters who want to use strategy.

But my best suggestion for voting in Approval is: Just approve (only) the
candidates whom you like, trusts, &/or consider deserving of your support.