[EM] Nontechnical words for cardinal and ordinal categories?

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 23 00:40:14 PDT 2012

"Evaluative" and "Comparative" are good descriptive names, especially for nontechnical use.

There are many different needs for names. For informative nontechnical needs the names should be stable and understandable. For research needs the names should be stable and exact. For marketing needs the names should be biased to support the marketing message.

On the research side (I count EM list basically in this category) whatever names are ok. You may like or dislike criteria like FBC, but that should be based on the properties of those criteria, and not on e.g. the impression that someone might "betray his favourite". The methods and criteria could be defined also with other more neutral words. For example FBC could refer to "modified ordering" or its scope could cover also tied rankings.

I hope that slow evolution will find the best (close to single) names for informative nontechnical needs. On the reseach side the first proposed names are usually the best names, unless there is a need for clarify. Marketing is likely to run its own paths, with possibly competing approaches to name and categorize the debated concepts. I note also that different societies do have different needs for namig, also for other than marketing related reasons (e.g. historical familiarity based reasons).

Juho