[EM] Throwing my hat into the ring, possibly to get trampled

Nicholas Buckner nlborlcl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 18:23:24 PDT 2012

Thank you for the article, as it was informative. It is very true that
Elimination methods tend to eliminate candidates who could go onto
become winners.

QLTD doesn't have a single loser to eliminate (it doesn't mention
losers much either). In fact I worn against first-past-the-post
methods (vanilla QLTD) (that's why I go with the "converse" way--the
elimination way), as they are susceptible to Burying mentioned here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_voting

what I think the original article
(http://www.mcdougall.org.uk/VM/ISSUE6/P4.HTM) tries to show is QLTD
has a problem with a subset criterion to monotocity he called
mono-add-top (which is very close to the Participation criterion).

My method doesn't have that problem.  Let me use his example (though I
have some mild problems with the Droop Quota now, I'll still use it
for these calculations).

Election 2:
abcdef     12 votes
cabdef     11 votes
bcadef     10 votes
def        27 votes

when adding: ad 6 votes

Pre add:
Votes: 60
Quota: 31

Round 1:
1: 2.8
2: 2.818182
3: 2.833333
4: 3.121212
5: 4.121212
6: 5.121212
Candidate 6 has the worst multiplier and was removed.

Round 2:
1: 2.421053
2: 2.450000
3: 2.476190
4: 3.121212
5: 4.121212
Candidate 5 has the worst multiplier and was removed.

Round 3:
1: 1.950000
2: 2.000000
3: 2.047619
4: 3.121212
Candidate 4 has the worst multiplier and was removed.

Round 4:
1: 1.500000
2: 1.571429
3: 1.578947
Candidate 3 has the worst multiplier and was removed.

Round 5:
1: 0.849315
2: 1.205479
Candidate 2 has the worst multiplier and was removed.

Final order from worst to best: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Post add:
Votes: 66
Quota: 34

Round 1:
1: 2.500000
2: 2.960000
3: 2.962936
4: 3.030303
5: 4.115942
6: 5.072464
Candidate 6 has the worst multiplier and was removed.

Round 2:
1: 2.263158
2: 2.545455
3: 2.565217
4: 3.030303
5: 4.085714

Candidate 5 has the worst multiplier and was removed.

Round 3:
1: 1.800000
2: 2.130436
3: 2.166667
4: 3.030303

Candidate 4 has the worst multiplier and was removed.

Round 4:
1: 1.350000
2: 1.625000
3: 1.636364

Candidate 3 has the worst multiplier and was removed.

Round 5:
1: 0.800000
2: 1.247059

Candidate 2 has the worst multiplier and was removed.

Final order from worst to best: 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. (Notice, it was
unchanged. Not very "chaotic", wouldn't you say?)