[EM] PR solutions (was: Gerrymandering solutions).

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 12:20:48 PDT 2012

On 7.6.2012, at 21.44, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> Likewise, for a list system, where Sainte-Lague is available, there's no
> reason to allow the paradoxes by using Largest Remainder.

Ok, that's one viewpoint. I think that often the paradoxican properties of Largest Remainder are actually what we want and not what we want to avoid.

> Maybe what you'd said was that Finland doesn't use a topping-up system,
> where the parties seat totals from districts are augmented to bring each
> party's total seats up to what a national PR count says they should have.

That's true. In Finland the district results are not "topped up". (The recent reform proposal (that is now dead or dormant) would have counted the proportions at national level and then "forced" the districts to elect their representatives so that the total sums would follow the national proportions.)

Juho