[EM] Conceiving a Democratic Electoral Process

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Tue Jul 17 13:07:08 PDT 2012

Good Afternoon, Dave

You seem to favor some form of a party-based political system.

There is another perspective worthy of consideration: the idea that the
political problems we endure are a result of the (lack of) quality in
our elected officials.  When one thinks about the state of our nation,
it is obvious the failures we endure result from the laws passed and the
policies set by the politicians we elect.

The poor quality of our elected officials flows from the dynamics of
party politics.  Partisan systems seek to empower one subset of the
people at the expense of the rest.  The leaders are willing to sacrifice
integrity to attain their ends.  Electoral methods that undervalue
integrity allow the corruption that permeates our nation.  To improve
our government, we must conceive an electoral method that prizes
integrity.  That is not possible with a party-based system.

Fred