[EM] Public parties: a Trojan Horse in the party system

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Jul 14 17:25:38 PDT 2012

Subject: Public parties: a Trojan Horse in the party system

Kristofer and Paul,

Kristofer Munsterhjelm said:
> It might be of interest to know that a Norwegian joke party had a
> platform somewhat like this. While it would not put the selection of
> candidates in the hands of the public, all the candidates (both of
> them) pledged to follow the public's will. Now, that might sound
> like what any politician would say, but they had a very precise
> definition in mind: they would put up a web poll about each
> parliamentary decision-to-be and then follow the people's decision
> according to that poll. ...
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Political_Party_(Norway) ...

I can see the joke - a parody of democracy hung on marionette strings.

But there are no such strings in what I proposed.  Aside from what
they're already allowed by law (in elections), the public are given no
mechanism to control the actions of legislators.  Certainly the public
*party* gives them none, because (unlike a political party) it
exercises no control over nominees, candidates or elected officials.
http://metagovernment.org/wiki/User:Michael_Allan/Public_parties#Substance

But I value your opinion, Kristofer.  Do you seriously find any fault
in the proposal?  Any reason why it should fail to work?

Paul Nollen said:
> Demoex (Norway in Vallentuna a suburb of Stockholm) is indeed
> working that way.

Which way?  Norwegian joke party, or public party?

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528
http://zelea.com/