[EM] Better runoffs

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Jul 10 06:38:53 PDT 2012

On Jul 10, 2012, at 6:51 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:

> When runoffs are subjected to criterion analysis, one usually
> considers voters to vote in the same order in each round. If they
> prefer A to B in the first round, and A and B remain in the second
> round, they'll vote A over B in the second round.

This seems reasonable to me - however much they thought, they decided
on A vs B for the previous round and have no real need for more
thinking now.

However, those preferring C or D have only A and B available in the
top-two runoff round and therefore must change.

Should C and D have lost in the previous round?  Experience with IRV
demonstrates that those deserving to win can lose due to bad methods
before runoffs.

Assuming C and D deserved to lose,  their backers need to accept their
weakness and move on.

Further, C and D could be clones who lost out because the method was
Plurality, in which clones often lose due to the method.  Plurality
has primaries to help with this but clones can get nominated via
multiple parties.

DWK