[EM] Conceiving a Democratic Electoral Process

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Thu Jul 5 17:22:25 PDT 2012

Kristofer Munsterhjelm said:
> - Thus, it's not too hard for me to think there might be sets of
> rules that would make parties minor parts of politics. Those would
> not work by simply outlawing parties, totalitarian style. Instead,
> the rules would arrange the dynamics so that there's little benefit
> to organizing in parties.

Such rules would be difficult to implement while the parties are still
in power.  They control the legislatures.  I think we need to look at
the primaries.  A system of open primaries would be beyond the reach
of the parties, and it might undermine their power.  Has anyone tried
this approach before?

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528