[EM] Census re-districting instead of PR for allocating seats to districts.

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:10:02 PDT 2012

> But if your independent that you vote for locally doesn't win a district
> seat, s/he might still win an at-large seat in the national list PR
> allocation, because, as I said, there's no reason why an independent
> shouldn't be able to run as a 1-candidate "party". So, if you really want
> to elect hir, then vote for hir in your district STV election, and also in
> the national PR allocation election. We're assuming that s/he's a candidate
> in your district, which is why you can vote for hir in your district STV
> election.
>

> Here you refer to a separate "national PR allocation election". Is your
> plan maybe that the voter casts one ranked vote in the district STV
> election and one party vote in the national party election?

[endquote]

Yes. It would just be the usual topping-up enhancement, but for STV in the
districts.

> You wrote:
>

> Note that this kind of methods may easily allow such free riding where
> parties list some of their strong candidates (that will be certainly
> elected) as independent candidates in the districts. This makes the total
> number of seats of that party appear smaller that it in reality is. And
> that may lead to more top-up seats to this party.

[endquote]

Nothing wrong with that. Every party supporter who votes for
the "independent" is one who doesn't vote for the party nationwide. So the
party's national count will be less.

But what if the "independent" is someone who is popular with people other
than the party's supporters too? Fine. Again, nothing wrong with that. It's
fair and right that s/he gets that other support. The party isn't being
unfairly helped. Hir extra nonparty support counts for hir as an
independent, and not for that party, because s/he appeals to people other
than party supporters.

Mike Ossipoff