[EM] Implementing a democratic electoral process (once it is conceived)

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Jul 29 13:33:20 PDT 2012

If it is not too early, then I have some questions about the practical
problem of actually implementing a reformed electoral process.

Fred Gohlke said on July 27:
> re [Juho]: "If the second phase is a traditional election,
>       traditional financing practices may apply."
>
> That is one of several reasons for having the [official] election on
> the day after the [selected] candidates are announced - it will
> limit the deception and obfuscations of campaigning.

I guess we can safely assume that reforms (whatever they are) will not
begin with the official electoral process.  It is too difficult to
change and too easy to circumvent.  What matters is the selection of
candidates, namely the primary electoral process.  Right?  *

Assume that primary reform is at least possible.  Consider a point in
the future at which there are five main primary processes in operation
at varying levels of turnout, with at least two being reformed
processes (your choice which).

    Process  Turnout
    -------  -------
       P       20 %
       Q       15        (at least two are
       R        5        reformed processes)
       S        2
       T        1

Is this expectation more-or-less reasonable?  Anyone?

When you speak (Fred) of controlling the time at which "candidates are
announced", do you mean only for the process that you and Juho are
mooting, say one of P-T?  Or all processes P-T?  Your purpose would
seem to require control of all the major primaries.

 * Primary electoral reforms accompanied the historical rise of the
   modern party system.  Selection of candidates used to be in local
   hands, but it was centralized it in the latter 1800s.  The most
   important reform for this purpose was the secret ballot.  It was
   promoted for laudible reasons (ending corruption) and less laudable
   (disenfranchising the negro), but the real motivation behind it was
   the concentration of power in political parties, which were then
   gearing up for a newly enfranchised mass electorate.  The secret
   ballot helped them because it eliminated the local hustings in
   which candidates were openly nominated and affirmed (in Britain),
   and eroded the power of the local political machines such as
   Tammany Hall (US).  Political power turns out to be based on
   control of primary elections and little else.  So it happened that
   the parties (as we know them) rose to power.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528
http://zelea.com/