[EM] Losing Votes (ERABW)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Thu Dec 13 11:31:37 PST 2012

On 12/13/2012 05:28 PM, Chris Benham wrote:

> Of the various proposed ways of weighing "defeat strengths" in
> Schulze, Losing Votes is the one that elects most from the "tops of
> the ballots". Given that we are seeking to convert supporters of FPP
> (and to I hope a lesser extent, IRV), I think that is a marketing
> advantage.

On the other hand, we know that only paying mind to the tops of the
ballots is a bad idea. That's what Plurality does. IRV pays less
attention to the top (so that it can pass mutual majority, for
instance), but Australia and Burlington seem to indicate it's not enough
unlike Plurality.

So we might ask ourselves how much attention we should pay to the top.
Of course, it's easy to find a method that pays very much (or very
little) attention to the top and still gives bad results. To Plurality
there is Antiplurality. Thus the question, inasfar as mechanism design
goes, doesn't actually seem to be "how much attention should we pay to
the top". The method should provide good results and/or strategy
resistance and then whether or not it pays attention to the top is
secondary.

Which leads to marketing. Perhaps having the method elect most from the
tops is a marketing advantage. However, it may come at a cost of results
(or strategy resistance). In that case, what is better? Should one pick
a method for marketability and try to build upon it to go further later,
or try to make one leap instead of two?

I'm asking as that question has come up before. It has, for instance, in
the question of whether to support IRV or go straight to Condorcet. How
much do we give for marketing?