[EM] Majority-Judgement using adjectives versus alphabetical scales versus numerical ranges.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 08:13:09 PST 2012

I tend to favor letter grades for MJ. Since the MJ (or CMJ) tiebreaker
itself assigns plusses and minuses, you can simply use the letters
A,B,C,D,F. That's only 5 categories; if you wanted 6, you could add an
explicit "A+" option, because without that the tiebreaker could never
assign a + to the highest grade.

I understand Andy's "grade inflation" criticism of using the school grading
system. However, I don't think it's a problem, for a couple of reasons. For
one, if you're starting from a two-party system, people will have enough
time to get used to a common social understanding of what the grades mean
for voting, before there are enough parties for mistakes to make much of a
difference. For another, a moderate amount of grade inflation is actually a
good thing. I personally have never seen a president whom I'd rate above a
D+ or C- on an absolute scale (or at best "poor" in verbal terms), and
never seen even a third-party candidate whom I'd give more than a B-
("fair"), but I still think it would be in my interest to give out A's and
B's. And as a society, it's even more in our interest that people don't
fall too easily into giving exsessive F's in a chicken dilemma situation.

Also, using single letters makes ballot design significantly
easier<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sample_ballot_for_Majority_Judgment_(SF).png>
.

So I support letter grades, but I certainly don't want to fight about it.
Whatever option has more support, I'm with that one.

Jameson