[EM] Advocacy

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Dec 5 23:09:34 PST 2012

On 12/5/2012 12:32 PM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
> But isn't the voting-system of the government-run primary already
> decided? If a state uses Plurality for its elections, does a party
> have a way to use IRV for their primary, when using the official
> government primary process. I don't think that that choice is up to
> the Greens, when they use the government's official primary process.

The Green-party candidate for Secretary of State here in Oregon has
studied the Oregon laws and says the law allows IRV.

The fact that the Green party does not use IRV for its primary elections
-- even where laws allow it -- reveals a gap between their rhetoric and
their actions.

> If everyone merely read the platforms, and then voted for what they
> actually prefer, I suggest that the Greens would win the presidency
> and most of Congress.

I judge political parties by their actions, not their words.

There is always a huge gap between a party's actions and their words.

Richard Fobes