[EM] Gerrymandering

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Mon Dec 3 08:58:08 PST 2012

On 12/3/12 8:00 AM, Jonathan Denn wrote:
> Fair Redistricting or Ending Gerrymandering is always a great "grievance" among electoral reformers. But the "solution" is much more elusive. Do you folks ever venture into that area?

can't say that i've done anything about it, but i have studied a little
bit about the math that defines Apportionment where the 435
Representatives in the House are apportioned among the 50 U.S. states.
the current method is this Huntington-Hill method and i am still
somewhat dubious of it.

about redistricting, how the lines get drawn, i wish that there would be
an algorithm that would do it without the input from the state
legislatures, because we *know* they do that with political
self-interest in mind.  here is a consequence: in the November 2012
election, not only did the Democrats win the presidency, keep control of
the Senate and gain seats both in the Senate and in the House, it turns
out that even though the House retained GOP control that *more* voters
in the U.S. that voted in the House races voted for Democrat candidates
than voted for GOP candidates.  i say this everytime a GOP apologist
claims that they have a mandate (to obstruct Obama) in the House.  how
is it that more voters voted Democrat yet there are more GOP
representatives elected?  i presume because of gerrymandering.  it must
be the case that in most of the races where the GOP candidate wins, that
they won with a smaller margin than in the races where the Dem candidate
won.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com