[EM] constantly improving, serving the community - Re: minguo presidential poll

Augustin beginner2005 at masquilier.org
Sun Aug 19 02:50:47 PDT 2012

Hello Michael Allan and all,

First of all, thanks to both Michaels: M. Allan for his
constructive remarks, and to M. Ossipoff for his answers by
which I stand. Before I reply to M. Allan, allow me to make
2 general remarks.

The first one is that the site is in constant evolution. No
such site is ever complete and finished. I have myself
thousands of ideas of features that could be added and
things that could be improved. I try to prioritise my
limited development time according to what's more urgent or
what's easier to implement. I am currently working hard on
improving the back end which in turn will allow me to
improve the overall organisation of the site.

The second remark is that although I have my own huge list
of things I'd like to improve, I welcome user suggestions
like Michael's. It gives me some insight on what users would
like most. In that spirit, I just created a new poll where
registered users can submit specific ideas and vote on them:
http://minguo.info/usa/node/124 . Both Michaels are welcome
to add their own ideas...

I reply now on the specific suggestions made:

On Friday, August 17, 2012 22:49:27 Michael Allan wrote:
>   * Display live counts and other signs of activity.
> Otherwise newcomers will assume the site is dead or
> dying.

If one clicks on the 'Recent Posts' link, one can see that
there has been a lost of activity recently:
http://minguo.info/usa/tracker
This tracker is especially useful for registered members as
they can see which polls have been updated, which content
has been created and which blogs have had comments added
since their last visit.

The site has indeed been dormant for a while, but it is now
very much alive. As I said, I am currently actively
developing both the content and the software. We are also
working on a major cooperation deal with Democracy
Chronicles (  http://www.democracychronicles.com/ ) that
should give a boost to both sites and, more importantly, to
the democracy movement.

Having said that, I already have in my mind many ideas that
I hope to implement sometime in the future that will help
users to focus their attention on the type of activity they
care the most about (see also below).

>   * Show the contribution of each participant.  Don't
> just take it and give nothing in return. (!)  Ideally
> show the contribution in a social context, because
> people vote for social reasons.

I can again reply in two parts: what already exists, and
what I am currently working on.

One can already visit the user profile of each active member
and see both a link to their individual blogs on the site as
well as a tracking page of all the discussion threads a user
has been active.

I am also currently working on remodelling the back-end
precisely so that individual user blogs become more
prominent than they are right now.

In addition, I can think of dozens of small features I'd
like to implement sometime which would more social features
to active users. I must prioritise among all those things,
but there is a plan to improve the site along the lines your
are suggesting.

As to "giving something in return", the most important thing
the site provides is a voice to the user. Registered users
can use the existing, extensive polling feature of the site
to create polls on any topic of their choice, add any new
option or candidate to the majority of the currently running
polls, and, obviously, cast their own vote.

What's more, we've just launched a Community Manifesto:
http://minguo.info/usa/manifesto
which will compile all the policy positions adopted by the
active users (according to the results of each and every
poll). We aim to provide a platform that users can use to
express their collective opinion and work for change.

You can browse the manifesto and see the actively running
polls which answer the following questions, among many
others:

* "What would you like to use this site for?"
* "What can we do to improve our democracy?"
* "Which Election method do you like?"
* "How to use this realm to "Promote better voting
systems"?"

The site is 100% free of advertising. I personally gain
nothing from it (on the contrary, it costs me money to host
and a *lot* of time to maintain and develop). It is a tool
that I provide for the community to use as they wish, to
promote their own policy agenda. Most importantly, it is a
tool I am actively developing to promote better Election
Methods and to further the cause of democracy. I hope this
fulfils your demand (for me) to "give something in return".

>   * Restrict voting to real people.  Bots and sock
> puppets ruin the social context and render the results
> meaningless.

By definition, the polls on the site are internet polls. As
such, they suffer all of the flaws of any internet poll
anywhere on the web. They also suffer the flaws of any
voting maching anywhere in the world.

It is for a reason that I am personally a strong advocate
for paper and pencil only elections. See the "pencil and
paper criterion": http://minguo.info/node/70

Having said that, I can assure you that I have taken
necessary measures to prevent ballot-box stuffing as much as
I can. I have implemented an algorithm that discards any
ballot that appears suspicious (hacking attempts, ballot box
stuffing attempts, etc.) I will not publicly discuss the
details of the implementation. However, I am obviously
dedicated to as much as possible ensure that the results are
meaningful and representative of the people who were
interested enough to take part in the polls.

On a related note, polls come in two general flavours:
- polls open to any person, registered or not. Among them,
you have the 2012 presidential polls previously presented on
this list.
- polls restricted to registered users: it is the results of
these polls that are used to draft our Community Manifesto.

And now, in reply to Michael Ossipoff:

On Friday, August 17, 2012 23:15:48 Michael Ossipoff wrote:
> But yes, the website could announce each new ballot
> (without in any way identifying the voter). That would
> be of interest. We'll see if Augustin likes that idea.

Yes, I do. This is actually one of the thousands of ideas I
have floating at the back of my mind. Generally speaking,
I'd like to improve on the existing features, allowing users
to precisely track and get notified of changes that are of
interest to them: how many new ballots have been cast in
which polls, which new options have been added in running
polls, etc. It will take time to implement all of this, but
yes, that's the direction I want to go.

Blessings,

Augustin.