[EM] Public parties: a Trojan Horse in the party system

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Aug 5 02:07:43 PDT 2012

Ed and Peter,

Ed Pastore said:
> I think what might help here is if you present an elevator pitch for
> the whole concept. ... In written form, that means something like a
> paragraph.  Can you encapsulate the whole idea that way? ... and
> then perhaps the particulars will sort themselves out internally...

Suppose we had an election-methods expert cornered on the elevator.  I
would pitch it as a technical challenge, like this:

  Consider that an open primary is like a political party in which the
  members are the general public.  If such a "public party" were to
  succeed in building a primary turnout to rival that of the major
  political parties, then it would come thereafter to win all
  elections.  Is this likely to prove true, or false?  [1]

If the experts in the EM list find no fault with the argument, then it
might be worth pitching to a wider audience.  Maybe as a slide show?

But Thomas's idea of forcing open Facebook is equally promising, as is
Mitch's offer to share/mirror votes at a technical level. [2][3]

Peter Zbornik said:
> I think de-constructing the political party is a good idea.  Your
> primary electoral system could work out after practicalities having
> been sorted out.

Thanks Peter for looking at the argument.  I like how you refer to it
as de-constructing the political party.  I think that's technically
correct.

> However your proposal almost exclusively focused on the primary
> electoral system and not the primary legislative system.  After the
> top candidates of the public party have been elected in all public
> elections, then what happens?

I should add something about this to the wiki.  Each public party has
a primary legislative system and all the systems are interlinked by
the vote mirroring network.  Each person is thus free to choose a
toolset and practices that meet his/her personal needs.  Elected law
makers may also participate if they wish.  If a majority of them
happen to agree to a primary bill at some point, they may floor it in
the legislature and promulgate it.  Their re-election prospects will
be simultaneously revealed in the electoral primaries, which continue
to run non-stop.

 [1] The detailed argument is here:
     http://metagovernment.org/wiki/User:Michael_Allan/Public_parties

 [2] http://metagovernment.org/pipermail/start_metagovernment.org/2012-July/004898.html
     BTW, vote mirroring is also an original idea of Thomas's.

 [3] http://metagovernment.org/pipermail/start_metagovernment.org/2012-August/004910.html

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528