[EM] Conceiving a Democratic Electoral Process

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Sat Aug 4 12:32:19 PDT 2012

Good Afternoon, Peter

Our discussion started with an assertion that nothing in our political
process seeks the active participation of the individual members of the
community.  The electoral method assumes that the assertive individuals
who seek positions as our political leaders have the knowledge, ability
and desire to serve the common interest - an assumption that is
frequently wrong. There is also an assumption that those who do not step
forward are not competent to serve as leaders or influence the choice of
leaders - an assumption belied by the broad distribution of talented
individuals in the population.

The rationale for this perspective was contained in the June 22, 2012
post that started this thread.  I urge you to take the time to read that
post because it sets the tone for our discussion.  The post closes by
posing the critical question: "How can we create an electoral process
that allows and encourages the entire electorate to exercise their
ability to guide the community's affairs to the full extent of their
desire and ability?"

A poster said joining a party constituted active participation in the
political process.  This raised the argument that those who join parties
are profoundly passive because they cede their right to guide their
community to the leaders of self-interested groups that serve narrow
special interests.

It was suggested that voting was a powerful way to influence the
direction of society.  This raised the objection that voting gives the
illusion of power but is a sign of weakness because the only options
available to the voters are those offered by party leaders.

There was discussion of the way political parties write the rules by
which the government functions, sell legislation to vested interests,
and choose candidates committed to enact the laws written for them by
the people who finance their election campaigns.  (It would be hard to
imagine a more dangerous political arrangement.)

It was pointed out that political parties are quasi-official
institutions designed to acquire the reins of government.  They do not
create democracies, they build oligarchies (political systems governed
by a few people).  Surprisingly, in spite of the large number of people
on this site that favor party-based systems, no-one stood up to defend
party politics.

We explored why partisanship is a vital part of society provided it is
always a voice for the people and never a power in its own right, and
concluded the danger is not in partisanship but in allowing partisans to
control government.

We briefly touched on the way a sortition-based system would weaken the
role of parties but failed to examine the possibility and wisdom of
sortition as an electoral method.

We talked about the adverse nature of political campaigning, how the
need for funding makes political parties conduits for corruption and how
the elevation of corrupt politicians to positions of political
leadership destroys society because morality is a top-down phenomenon.

We talked about the wisdom of eliminating party sponsorship of
candidates for public office and letting the people choose the best
advocates of the public interest from among themselves, and started
looking at ways to accomplish that.

During the course of the discussion, I suggested several possible goals
for an electoral process.  They should be enhanced or refuted:

1) Parties must not be allowed to control the nomination of
    candidates for public office.

2) The electoral method must not require that candidates spend
    vast sums of money to achieve public office.

3) The electoral method must give the people a way to address
    and resolve contemporary issues.

4) The electoral method must allow every member of the electorate
    to become a candidate and participate in the electoral process
    to the full extent of each individual's desire and ability.

5) The electoral method must ensure that all candidates for
    public office are carefully examined to determine their
    integrity and suitability to serve as advocates for the
    people.

6) The electoral method must be repeated frequently (preferably
    annually).

7) The electoral method must include a means for the electorate
    to recall an elected official.

8) The electoral method must ensure that candidates for public
    office are examined, face-to-face, by people with a vital
    interest in ascertaining their character, and the examiners
    must have enough time to investigate their subject thoroughly.

9) The electoral method must accommodate the fact that parties,
    interest groups, factions and enclaves are a vital part of
    society.

Then, in the most recent part of the discussion, we were looking at the
possibility of an electoral method where parties and non-partisans
nominate people for public office, where all parties (and non-partisans)
select the most effective advocates of the group's position internally,
the resulting nominees decide among themselves (in public sessions
lasting several weeks during which they may be challenged by the public
and the media as well as each other) which individuals will be
candidates for public office.  On the day following the selection of
candidates, the public votes on those candidates.  The purpose of voting
on the day after the candidates are named is to prevent campaigning,
because all pertinent information is disclosed during the decision
making process that results in the candidate selection. I believe this
approach has flaws but have not yet described them because others may
have contributions worthy of consideration.

This summary is incomplete.  For example, it does not mention the strong
opposition of one poster.  However, it does offer a brief overview of
the major points (as I see them).  Is that enough for you to contribute
ideas for conceiving a democratic electoral process?

Fred