[EM] [RangeVoting] A procedure for handling large numbers of candidates using scorevoting with primaries and runoffs.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Aug 14 21:16:58 PDT 2012

Asset Voting blows the whole issue out of the water.

I've assumed that Asset would be most functional if the ballot has no
names on it at all. A booklet is published and available at the
polling place with names or codes to enter for listed candidates. A
registration fee for candidates is sufficient to pay for listing in
the booklet. The listing is just identification, so that a voter can
unambiguously vote for a candidate that they have chosen.

With a state with 10 million voters, there might well be 100,000
candidates or even more.

In asset, it's only necessary to vote for one person. While Warren's
original Asset system was hi-resolution Range, it's vastly overkill.
It's not necessary for representation, and Asset is basically a
parliamentary system, it creates representation for the purpose of
completing elections.

I've mostly written about Asset as a method for creating accurate
proportional representation, where every voter, at least in theory,
is represented by a candidate they chose, or (probably far more
often) by a candidate chosen by a candidate they chose, directly or
indirectly). If it's done right, voters will actually know whom they
elected, *their* representative. And if they vote as I expect voting
to go in a mature question, they can actually talk with the candidate
they actually voted for, who has publicly transferred the vote to the
person actually elected. That's access to power, *for every voter
capable of communicating civilly, or at least civilly enough for the
candidate who got the vote.

Asset can be used single-winner, though. I just think that once one
can elect a proportional assembly, that truly represents the *entire
electorate*, direct elections of office-holders becomes an obviously
Bad Idea. Much better to hire them, let the assembly hire and fire.

Take a hint from business.