[EM] Election layering effect (or why election-method reform is important)

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 28 10:52:33 PDT 2012

  Hi,

an other aspect to this is the development of a posteriori to election
criteria to
measure satisfaction of the electorate from the results.

Forget about the electoral method, just focus on the result and the
electorate will.
Individually taken, it is easy to quantify how much an elector is
satisfied with
the results from its own participation to an election. Among all the
candidates
a candidate could have an influence on their election, the ratio of
these candidates
getting elected represents the satisfaction rate of the elector. How do
you get
the full will of that elector? Just assume all voters proposed with the
same choices
than that elector make the same picks. The result represents the 100%
satisfaction
result. Some examples:

With an FPTP election, 3 districts:
District 1:
Blue* 45%
Red 35%
Yellow 20%
District 2:
Blue* 51%
Red 30%
Yellow 19%
District 3:
Blue 25%
Red 30%
Yellow* 45%
The 3 elected MP (2 Blue, 1 Yellow) produce an average individual
satisfaction rate of 47%.

With an STV election, 3 seats in a single super-district, let's assume
following ballots and results:
10%: B3 B2 Y2 R1 R2 Y1 Y3 R3 B1
30%: R1 R2 R3 B1 B2 B3 Y1 Y2 Y3
51%: B1 Y1 Y2 Y3 R1 R3 R2 B3 B1
9%: Y1 B1 R1 B2 R2 Y3 Y3 R3 B3
Elected: B1 Y1 R1.
Individual satisfaction of the first group of voters: 0% (none elected
among the 3 first choices)
Individual satisfaction of the second group of voters: 33,3% (one
elected among the 3 first choices)
Individual satisfaction of the third group of voters: 66,7% (two elected
among the 3 first choices)
Individual satisfaction of the fourth group of voters: 100% (all elected
among the 3 first choices)
Global individual satisfaction of all voters: 10% x 0% + 30% x 33,3% +
51% x 66,7% + 9% x 100% = 53%

Typically STV produces a global individual satisfaction rates around
twice FPTP rates for the simulations
I have made yet...
Almost all election method can be measured this criteria (it makes no
sense for a fully random selection).

This does not covers the layering effect of multiple representative
levels, but it emphasizes the mismatch
between the will of electors and the results.

Stéphane Rouillon