[EM] Democracy Chronicles, answers to interview questions

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 10 21:34:19 PDT 2012

  Hello Adrian, as asked:

> Question 1.  Your name and the city and country you work in.
Stéphane Rouillon, Montreal, Canada.

> Question 2.  What is your Company or Organization?
I work at SNC-Lavalin in system engineering (traffic actually).

> Question 3.  Any contact info you wish to give to be published with
> article for readers (for example your email or website.)
I presented a paper at the Mid-West Political Science Association in
2007 at Chicago:
"A Prefererential and Proportional Electoral System Without Geographical
Divisions" (french acronym SPPA)
I am not sure the Web address still works:
http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/1/9/9/3/9/p199397_index.html
French version available at:
http://www.bibliotheque.assnat.qc.ca/01/MONO/2004/07/771217/001M.pdf.

> Question 4. If you have signed the Declaration, is there any
> additional information, beyond what's in your signature, that you feel
> is important to mention?
I was an expert-witness in a case of dismissal of FPTP canadian voting
system, because its failure to represent some part of the population
is considered by the plaintiff against the charter of rights. The case
is moving to the supreme court.
I presented SPPA to the ambassador of another country.

-

> Question 6. Briefly explain what characteristics you think are most
> important for a voting method to have?
A voting method should be efficient, representative and competitive. It
should gather detailed information from voters in only one visit to the
poll station.
It should be highly strategy resistant so false information or partisan
coordination should hardly have an impact on the result. It should promote
competition between political parties and between candidates from within
the same party.

> Question 7. What do you think is the most important election reform
> needed where you live (either locally or nationally)?  Why is this
> reform important?
At the municipal level, a preferential and semi-proportional voting
system (like STV) would hinder collusion and corruption.
At higher levels (provincial and federal), breaking the geographical
link is an additional need because geographical polarization and
confrontation
has become a major problem. Those reform are essential because these
governments control 50% of all a year spending, thus these major expenses
should be well chosen by persons who represent the collective will.

> Question 8. What is your opinion on other aspects of election reform
> such as reforming money's role in politics or redistricting
> (particularly in the US but very interested as well concerning
> election reforms internationally)?
A simple preferential ballot (independently of the electoral method)
could generate more positive politics despite the role of money: instead
of attacking the leader,
candidates would benefit more from underlining good ideas from weaker
candidates, thus producing debates with a positive dynamic.
Redistricting is useful on municipal levels when a geographical link
helps voters to transmit their proximity problems to the relevant
administration. On a national base, now that most important issues cross
boundaries in a matter of minutes or days (ideas, migratory animals,
prices, products, unemployment, emails, money, viruses, pollution,
radio-active clouds, planes, missiles, broadcasts, religious directives,
refugees, ...), our geographical representation and typical four year
mandates do not answer our needs anymore as time passes... We need to
adapt representative democracy to the 21st century.