[EM] Burlington versus Aspen in Declaration

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Tue Apr 10 11:06:03 PDT 2012

Regarding the Aspen versus Burlington choice, no one else has commented,
so it will stay unchanged.  Given what I now know, Aspen would have been
a better choice, but the difference is too subtle for most people to
understand.

On 4/7/2012 11:12 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
 > just to be clear, i am not (yet) a signer. maybe i should be, but i
 > really can't get behind any solution other than a Ranked-Choice voting
 > (Condorcet preferable, IRV maybe acceptable). i really can't get at all
 > behind promoting Score nor Approval nor Asset nor SODA for governmental
 > elections. They're just too messy. (Approval isn't messy, but I don't
 > think it will nor should catch on because of the need for "expressivity"
 > for voters where we want to be able to separate our first and second
 > choices *and* separate our second and last choices.)

I share your preference for ranked ballots and Condorcet methods.  Yet I
also realize that, as does Jameson, that Approval voting will not get
used for U.S. Presidential general elections, and presumably the same
applies for Range voting.

The Declaration has helped me appreciate Approval voting for use when a
group of people are gathered in person and are making a simple choice,
such as where to eat dinner, and that made me realize that I would be
fine with Approval voting being adopted for Presidential _primary_
elections, and that qualifies as a governmental election.

As for Score ballots, they are the best choice for the distant future
when we have a way to count them that is not vulnerable to strategic
voting.  (Majority Judgment is clever and mathematically appealing, but
too complex to explain in words.)

Even IRV would be a good choice for a small group of people gathered
together without access to a computer.

I'm not trying to change your mind about the voting methods.  Rather I'm
pointing out that I signed because single-mark ballots are so awful that
any of the methods even mentioned in the Declaration would be a
significant improvement, and that, in my mind, is what the Declaration says.

Richard Fobes