[EM] Burlington versus Aspen in Declaration

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Sat Apr 7 21:00:38 PDT 2012

On 4/6/2012 12:45 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>> Question 5. If you have not signed the Declaration, why?
>>

> i had a couple of problems. two that i remember is that it cited the
> 2009 Mayoral election in my town, Burlington Vermont, as an example of
> the failure of Instant Runoff Voting, and, indeed IRV *did* fail that
> year (and has been repealed the following year, by a small margin). but
> the reason given for the dissatisfaction of Burlingtonians mentioned in
> the declaration is not accurate. the Burlington voters are not as
> sophisticated as folks on the election-methods list or otherwise engaged
> in election reform. the reason given is more of a reflection of what
> persons who study these different methods have for rejecting IRV, but
> voters that voted to repeal IRV in Burlington believed (incorrectly,
> IMO) that IRV robbed the Plurality winner of his legitimate election.
> most of us on this list understand that the root to the failure of IRV
> that year was that the Condorcet winner (a.k.a. the "pairwise champion")
> was not elected.

Should the example in the Declaration be changed from Burlington to Aspen?

This question applies to all signers, not just Robert.  In order to
justify this change all, or at least almost all, the signers would have
to agree -- or at least not object -- to making this change.

(Either is fine with me.)