[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 87, Issue 54

Ralph Suter RLSuter at aol.com
Fri Sep 23 19:11:33 PDT 2011

To James Gilmour:

1. Despite your own certainty about how "the real world of partisan
politics" functions, your opinion is entirely speculative with no basis
in historical events, since no Condorcet elections have ever been held
in any major public elections (or even any minor ones I am aware of).

2. In arriving at your conclusions, you have neglected two critically
important considerations.

   a. A so-called "weak Condorcet winner" could, immediately following
an election, make strong and possibly widely persuasive arguments that
she/he not only deserves to have won but is the strongest possible
winner, one who in separate contests with every other candidate would
defeat every one - or, in the event there was a cycle that had to be
resolved, would still have credible claim to be stronger overall than
any other candidate. She/he could then quickly move beyond such
arguments to act in ways that demonstrate her or his actual political
strength beyond any reasonable doubt. The early carpers about the
candidate being a weak winner would soon be forced to shift focus to
other more important issues. If you want to seriously address practical
politics, you need to address this highly credible post-election scenario.

   b. Your arguments, weak though they are, are even less applicable (if
at all) to  elections of legislators than to elections of officials in
executive offices (president, mayor, etc). In fact, in a sharply divided
electorate (whether divided on ideological, religious, ethnic, or other
grounds), most people would likely prefer a middle-ground compromise
winner (even one from a small minority party or group) than one from the
major opposing party or group they strongly disliked, since the
middle-ground winner would, though far from ideal to most voters, also
make far less objectionable legislative decisions overall than a
"stronger" but widely disliked major party winner.

-Ralph Suter