[EM] Weak Condorcet Winners

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 18:59:36 PDT 2011

Please accept my apologies for forgetting to fix the subject line from
the digest #.

I also want to agree with the person who suggested that Jon Huntsman
is a "weak" Condorcet winner among Republican US presidential
candidates, and mention that among the entire electorate, I believe
Jon Huntsman would be the Condorcet winner and probably win the
election.

Having lived in Utah for decades, Jon Huntsman is the only Republican
candidate I would consider voting for, given my strong Democratic
proclivities.  I believe Huntsman is the only Republican candidate
that could honestly win an election against Obama. Notice I said
"honestly" because I do not think that US election contests that are
within 10% to 15% margins (and maybe more) are being decided
accurately in the US, given the way that election administrators and
private companies have successfully asserted an unconstitutional
special right to secretly count votes and handle ballots in the US
with virtually no public oversight.  At least in other countries that
have more transparent processes, any evidence of tampering is
detectable.

Jon Huntsman is moderate, believes in science, is a highly successful
former Governor and hugely successful businessman and philanthropist
who was very popular among Utah Democrats, as well as Republicans when
he was governor.  If Republicans really want to win the Presidency, at
least via honest means, he is their best hope.  Don't have much
confidence that Repubs will nominate him though.

I believe Huntsman would is the Condorcet winner if U.S. voters could
vote on all the current candidates using a ranked or rated ballot and
range or Condorcet or other fair electoral method that improves upon
plurality voting. Obama has good intentions and has done a lot of good
but has underutilized the powers available to the president (veto
power and appointment power in the DoJ) and appointed the same people
who helped cause the financial crisis to try to solve it (which
doesn't work), and thus has squandered his opportunities to a large
measure.

--

Kathy Dopp
http://electionmathematics.org

Fundamentals of Verifiable Elections
http://kathydopp.com/wordpress/?p=174

View some of my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1451051