[EM] [CES #3650] FairVote folks are not the friendliest bunch

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 11:40:54 PDT 2011

From: James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk>
>> I don't think I would have a problem with C winning here, if
>> the votes were all sincere.

>Even if all the votes are sincere, it is irrelevant what you or I think.  It is what ordinary electors would think about such a
>winner, with only 5% of the first preferences.  And those electors would not be left in peace to reflect quietly on the potential of
>their (weak) "Condorcet winner".  Their views would be whipped up by partisan politicians and by a hostile press and media.  That
>Condorcet winner would still be the Condorcet winner, but that's not how such an outcome would be portrayed.  The world of real
>politics is a very brutal, nasty and dirty place, but that's where practical electoral reformers have to work (at least for the time
>being) if they really want to change anything.

>James Gilmour

In the example, A would win in a FPTP system, so all of B's voters would be better off under this outcome. So while the A supporters might kick up a massive fuss, it's not as if everyone, or even a majority, would probably be doing so. It's difficult to tell exactly what reaction we'd get, but the press are over-the-top on many matters, so it wouldn't be anything new!

Toby