[EM] Weak Condorcet winners

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 04:28:58 PDT 2011

I think term "weak CW" should not be used as a general term without referring to in what sense that winner is weak. There are different elections and different needs. In some of them weak CW is a good choice, in some others not.

51: A
49: B

As you can see A is a weak CW here. Not so if you measure the number of first preferences, but very much so if you compare the strength of the winner to the strength of its competitors.

45: A>B>C
5: B>A>C
5: B>C>A
45: C>B>A

Here B is a strong CW since the alternatives are

A = set tax level to 20%
B = set tax level to 19%
C = set tax level to 18%

It is obvious that B is the alternative that should be chosen. Other end results would be plain wrong. B is not a weak candidate in any way.

Term "weak CW" seems to be heavily linked to the understanding that the winner should have lots of first preference support (or it should often belong to the most preferred subgroup of the candidates). This is a viewpoint that is quite strong in two-party countries (that want to stay as two-party countries) since in those countries whoever is in charge has typically more than 50% support among the voters. But what is weak in this kind of thinking need not be weak in some other set-up.

> Failing the majority criterion is, in my view, a similar flaw to electing a weak CW.

I think electing a weak CW is a flaw only in some set-ups with some specific requirements that make weak CW a bad choice. Majority criterion is a requirement far more often, but not always. There are also elections where majority is not a requirement. And there are also elections where it is sometimes a requirement to elect against the majority opinion.

Juho