[EM] [CES #3650] FairVote folks are not the friendliest bunch

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 15:18:40 PDT 2011

robert bristow-johnson  > Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:00 PM
> > On 9/22/11 12:40 PM, James Gilmour wrote:
> > But suppose the votes had been (again ignoring irrelevant
> preferences):
> >     48 A>C
> >     47 B>C
> >      5 C
> > "C" is still the Condorcet winner - no question about that.  But I
> > doubt whether anyone could successfully sell such a result to the
> > electorate, at least, not here in the UK.
>
> even though there were 48 voters who preferred C over B, 47 that
> preferred C over A, along with the 5 that preferred C over
> both A and B.
>
> that does not appear to me to be such a bad result.

But you are missing the point.  It is not how the Condorcet winner appears to you or to me  -  it is how that winner, with only 5%
of the first preferences, is seen by ordinary electors and by hostile partisan politicians of Party A and Party B.  I think I know
how that result would be received in the UK (total rejection), and I would expect a similar reaction in the USA or Canada, judging
by what I have read in their on-line newspapers.

James Gilmour